This is the next instalment of a series that will introduce the CGAA County Executive and Management Committee members, and shine some well-deserved light on the breadth and depth of experience that is working to support Gaelic Games across the country. Over the next few weeks, we plan to highlight all the Executive and Management Committee members.
Name: Neil O Brien
Position on Committee: Eastern Division Rep
Current Club: Montréal Shamrocks since 2016. Men’s football representative since October 2018.
- Men’s senior football Eastern Championship winner 2017 and Senior Men’s football May Tournament winner Montréal 2018. (Both as a player before the knees caved in!!😂😂)
- Men’s Senior football coach Eastern Championship winner 2019.
- Qualified Refereeing tutor, and have verseen the training of new referees within our club over the last 2 years.
GAA Leadership Experience:
- World Games Men’s Head Coach Eastern Division 2018
- Super league chairperson Montréal Shamrocks 2017
Background: Grew up in Sligo, (the most beautiful county in Ireland) home to the world famous Benbulben, the burial place of W.B. Yeats and of course the greatest boy band in history, Westlife!
Moved to Montréal in 2016. Initially was meant to be Toronto but a friend of mine lived here so moved to Montréal instead.
Professional Background: Labourer/Construction
First (and only) All Ireland: Cork v Meath in 1999. Brilliant experience. Joe Kavangh got as good of a goal as you’ll see anywhere that day, but it wasn’t enough to beat a very good Meath team.